With the rising demand of technological products like Computer, Laptop, Smartphones etc, many eye related problems are also rising in a parallel manner. Other than eye fatigue and computer vision syndrome there is one more problem which is annoying the technological society. Sleep disorder or difficulty while sleeping is a problem mostly reported by digital device users.
In this article you will get to know about the following:-
- How sleep disorder is triggered by smartphones/ laptops/ computer etc ?
- What is the scientific backbone of this theory ?
- How you can continue to use digital devices and still improve the sleep ?
It has become a common practice to work on digital devices through out the day and even at night also. Some people use these devices to earn their bread and butter while for others they are a good medium of entertainment. Spending extended hours in front of digital screens certainly affects the eye related health but when you use them after sunset, they may make you a victim of sleep disorder also.
The cause :- Like we have been mentioning the same on other parts of our website that almost all electronic devices with digital screens emit high energy visible light (HEV) or blue light. This blue light has a very short wavelength. As a rule of thumb, shorter the wavelength higher the frequency of the waves. When this high frequency blue light of the digital screens enters into our eyes, it signals our brain that it is still day time. As a result, your brain does not allow you to sleep.
DID YOU KNOW ? Sky is blue because of the blue color portion of the sunlight which scatters the most among other colors. You will accept the fact that it will not be so easy for you to sleep under a shining sun. This is mainly because of the blue light which is mainly responsible for mental alertness.
Scientific Fact :- As a lay person and curious reader you may want to know the scientific authenticity & facts behind the relationship of blue light theory & sleep disorder. So there are 3 factors behind this.
- Pineal Gland – It is a small gland or organ inside your brain that is responsible for the production of various hormones including Melatonin hormone. You may call is a production factory of hormones. For your information, Hormones are like a substance that reaches the specific body part to control & regulate the activities of that body part.
- Melatonin Hormone – This is also called as sleeping hormone. Its controls your sleep patterns. In plain and simple words, you can not sleep properly without the adequate production of Melatonin in your brain. It is said that most of this hormone gets produced usually at night.
- Blue Light – Blue light is the harsh portion of the visible light. The greater portion of blue light in the light spectrum means the more stronger the light is for our eyes & brain. When this blue light enters into our eyes & brain through digital screens, the production of the melatonin hormone gets negatively affected and we find it difficult to sleep at night.
( A scientific report can be studied on National Institute of Health (USA) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16842544 )
How you can improve your sleep while you continue to work on digital screens ?
This is very important. Does not matter even if you could not understand the logic behind the above mentioned facts. You can still combat the sleep disorder to a good extent an improve you sleep significantly. We suggest you to do this:-
- Avoid working on computer after sunset
- If you can not avoid computer/ mobiles after sunset then atleast stop using them 2 hours before you sleep.
- If you can not do both or any of the above mentioned points then its strongly recommended to purchase a pair of blue light blocking glasses with amber technology.
We at Zebriana manufacture high quality blue light blocking computer glasses that are also useful in sleep disorder due to digital screens, eye fatigue, CVS, blurred vision etc.